Wednesday, July 18, 2007

T minus one week...

...and counting until the Big Test. But let us keep our minds on happier less stressful things for the moment. Tomorrow morning (EARLY morning) I leave for South Bend to attend my dear friends' wedding. I know, I am crazy for going out there so close to the bar, but let's be honest -- if I haven't learned it by now, I am sure as heck not going to learn it in the next week. Just in case, I do have hours and hours of Evidence, Torts, and Constitutional Law lectures loaded onto my iPod for my enjoyment on the plane and during my layovers. And I have a stack of index cards about a foot high (no joke). But like I said before -- let us talk about happier things.

I am very excited to go out to South Bend. I will get to see friends I haven't seen in years as well as spend some time visiting Notre Dame's campus. This will be my first time back there since Fall 2004 when I went with my parents' to the Purdue game. Sure, the campus will be different without the hustle and bustle of the students, but it will be a nice relaxing getaway, even if it only lasts less than 48 hours.

As far as my knitting is concerned, it hasn't made much progress since we spoke last Sunday. I know. No new knitting to report in TEN days. Part of it has to do with my studying. Part has to do with my sheer lack of concentration on any one project. Part has to do with the many other distractions. Namely Ravelry. Casey and Jess launched a groups feature that is eating up what free time I allot myself to use the computer. Not in a bad way though. It is great to talk with new people and connect with people who have common interests (other than needlework) or who live in the same area.

To make up for the lack of knitting time in the last 10 days, I thought about bringing my knitting with me tomorrow so I'll have something to do on the plane (and so I can make progress on my socks!!). I know that technically knitting needles are allowed in carry-on luggage according to the TSA's list of prohibited/permitted items, but I have heard on various message boards that people have had trouble getting them through security because the TSA has discretion to allow or disallow the knitting needles, even if they are on the permitted list. So I am still undecided about what to do. This is such a short trip and I hope to make the travel as smooth as possible, but at the same time I do not want to be bored during the flight....Worse thing that could happen is that they tell me I can't bring them and they get confiscated, right?

I will go ponder that while I finish packing and get some more studying done. Remember, I will be back into full blogging/knitting/socializing mode on Friday July 27th. Until then, happy knitting!!

2 comments:

Akaijen (Knitting Sutra) said...

I am probably commenting too late, but I've never hard trouble with wooden needles on the plane, but you're right - you never know. I read a suggestion ones to pack a self-addressed, stamped envelope that will hold your project. That way you can send it back to yourself in the mail rather than give it up in the line. I've also heard that other people will put the project on stitch holders so they don't lose their work if the needles get confiscated for any reason.

Good luck with the bar!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info! I will keep it in mind the next time I travel :-) Although I'm glad I didn't chance it with the needles this time... I had quite the travel adventure for such a short trip :-/